Running Around

Today was a day of running around not accomplishing much.

I began by driving Megan to Mississauga Secondary School. She was told to be there from 8:30 to 10:30. It was her final day of her summer 2 credit co-op program. It is a 25 minute drive at that time of day. When we arrived there were lots of parents sitting in cars so I asked Megan to speak to the teacher to determine how long she would need to stay. Turns out it was only a few minutes to pick up her portfolio and certificate of completion.

So we arrived back home much earlier than expected to find Trystan and Owen in their usual place in front of the TV shooting people. I insisted they breakfast and dress for a ride to their cousins. My nephews weren’t thrilled to be invited outside from their screens however they agreed to 20 minutes of exercise in exchange for some screen time with the cousins afterwards.

Here we are on our way to Professors Lake.


My boys are on the left, my nephews on the right. The two cousins on the outside are ten years old and four days apart in age. The two on the inside are thirteen years old and twelve days apart in age.

Here they are waiting to cross the road on the way back.


Next we returned home so I could take Alun to the doctor. Ever have one of those middle aged moments where you get something wrong for no apparent reason? I made the appointment yesterday. I wrote the time on the calendar: 11:40.

Last night I wrote out the day’s schedule on a white board easel which we use to try to keep track of when and where the six of us need to be for the day. On the board I wrote the appointment time as 11:40.


Somehow, as I rode to the cousins’ house, I managed to mis-remember the appointment time as 11:50. I worked back from there how long the cousins could play, when we needed to ride home and when Alun and I needed to leave to drive to the doctors.

When we checked in we were told we were down as “no show”. I said, “Your clock must be fast”. It wasn’t. The receptionist showed me her cell phone. Then it came back to me that the appointment time was 11:40. Duh. Fortunately, we were called in just as we sat down.

The doctor could see nothing wrong with Alun’s eye, which has been weeping for months despite prescribed eye drops which initially improved the situation, but recently it has worsened again. So we are off to the ophthalmologist next week.

In the afternoon I went to Cyclepath to try out a couple of bikes. I want to get a road bike as my hybrid is just too hard to ride for the longer distances I want to do. I tried the $1900 carbon frame Giant Defy Composite 2.


I also tried the $1200 aluminum frame Giant Defy 2.


They were both very nice bikes. I think the carbon had a nicer ride, but am not certain that I could tell if I didn’t know.

On top of the bike I would have to buy pedals, shoes, a more comfortable seat, a carrier and lock. I just don’t know if I can justify that kind of money on a bike.

I tried a second hand one on Sunday night. I am going to go try it again on Friday not that I have tried a couple new ones.


About Lisa Stokes

I am a stay-at-home mother of four whose hobbies include photography, quilting and cycling. I have recently started to advocate for better cycling infrastructure in my community. I am the photographer at the Brampton Quilters' Guild.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s