On Sunday we learned that our damper could not be repaired, but needed to be replaced. Mike the Chimney Guy told us he would order the part and come back in a week to ten days. I told him someone is usually home, so to call if he found time sooner. Today, just as I was heading out to run errands, he called to see if he could come by between 11 and 12. I told him, “yes”.
Here is the new damper. It sits on top of the chimney.
First they removed the animal proofing we had installed a few years ago to keep out racoons and squirrels (neither actually made it into the house through the chimney, but we had several incursions into the attic and when animal proofing our eaves and dormers, did the chimney as well. Here they have already moved the old animal proofing.
They then installed the damper with a new animal proof cage on top.
They dropped a steel bar and chain down the chimney and installed a fixture to hold it on the left side of the firebox. It’s much easier to open the damper now. I can’t wait to have our first fire.